Friday, October 3, 2014

Green?

The title says the most common comment I received when I choose, with some help, to dye my hair a bright neon green with a darker underside.
Isn't it beautiful? There is much behind this "leap off of hair dying color cliff". But this is a short cliff notes type version. This year is my 10 year anniversary of my automobile accident. I wrote about that in deeper detail early on my blog: A Shattered Memory. One thing I have always wanted was green hair and I shared this fact with my two dear friends, Cody and Melanie. They were a huge encouragement to be who I wanted to be and to celebrate life the way I felt too.
It was a normal day, a play date planned for kids to have fun and us Moms to chat and craft. The day turned into a day of hair dying. The color green was placed before me and "let's do this" was said. My girlfriends, my heroes, threw me a "Green Hair dying party". It was so much fun!


I am so thankful for 10 years at this new life. I died twice on the side of the road and once in the emergency room, during my accident. I know, for how the car looked, I should not be here. But, by the grace of God, I am. And each and everyday, I look at my two toddlers and know, my 'job' was not done yet. I have much more 'life' ahead of me. Green to me represents the freshness and newness of spring and life. It is one of my favorite colors, but dying my hair green was a way I could cover three things: new life, favorite color, and my wish to be called 'Kelly Green' just a few times. Yes, it may have been a vain and superficial thing to do, but sometimes, that is the best way to celebrate. No matter what the 'world' around me may say.


Kelly

If you could dye your hair any color, what color would it be?
 

6 comments:

  1. You go girl!
    I would dye it the blond I had when I was a child. My hair got darker and are more dirty, dark blond now and I'm missing the "sun" in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand where you are coming from! I was born a 'toe head'. That white blonde and as I grew it changed to a strawberry blonde to ash blonde and every year it gets darker to where my natural is a light brown. :) But hair dye is one of the most fun inventions ever! A person can choose any color of the rainbow now. And it is amazing! :) I think your hair is a beautiful color presently, but if you want to, you can go blonde whenever you wish too! ♥

      Delete
  2. I love you, Kelly! So happy I could play a part in making you Kelly Green!!

    Green is my FAVORITE color I've dyed my hair so far. I really wish I could dye it pink & it not fade out in two days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥♥♥♥♥ I am so glad you were part of it too. You and Melanie made it so special. And you look great with green but I agree. It is a shame red tones do not last very long. You would rock pink!! ♥

      Delete
    2. Have you tried a protein filler when you use reds and pinks? I can keep pink in my hair for 30-35 days with minimal fading. It's been a life saver.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! If I ever think of dyeing hair, green would be the last color I'd ever think of because I'm assuming it'll look weird. Hahaha! You've just proven that assumption wrong. You look absolutely chic and gorgeous with that shade of green. I also love those soft curls. Thank you for sharing that fun and fabulous experience with us. Stay beautiful, Kelly!

    Sadie Montgomery @ Hoshalls Folsom

    ReplyDelete